Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Protein Packed Snack

Quinoa is such a great food for flexitarians because it not only contains a high percentage of protein in a serving (18% to be exact) but, it also contains a balanced set of amino acids making it a complete protein. Winner Winner Quinoa Dinner :) I have only had quinoa in dishes that are savory not sweet, but today we busted that myth with this delicious treat!

Baked Quinoa Bars


adapted from: Shape


1 c quinoa raw
2 c water
1/2 c peanut butter
1/3 c agave
1 c rolled oats
1/2 c dried, unsweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 c raw cocoa nibs + more for sprinkling the top

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x9 baking pan with pam. Cook the quinoa in the water until almost all of the water is gone (be careful not to let it burn). Cool quinoa while you make the rest of the recipe. In a bowl combine the peanut butter, agave oats and coconut. Add the quinoa. It will still be warm. Add the chips and mix just enough to get them incorporated. If you mix too long the chips will melt. Spread into the pan and sprinkle the top with more chips. Bake for 30 min or until the edges start to brown and the toothpick comes out clean. Cool and enjoy. and trust me when I say a little goes a long way. In the picture I put three bars. I was so full that I only ate 1 and 1/2 or maybe even a little less. Protein sure seems to fill me up :)

On a side note: Here is a picture of my Herb Jars! They are growing out of control and I LOVE it! I used the mint for my pho the other night! Here is the post for that recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment