Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What the Pho?

Last summer I went to Seattle with my family on a much NEEDED vacation. We got there the day that the last Harry Potter movie came out. We decided that it would be fun to go see it so my dad Matthew and I all went to a cute little theater not too far from my grandma's home. We left very early to beat the crowds and there was no one there at all. That left us enough time to stop for lunch. We just randomly picked a restaurant and went in. I cannot describe how wonderful the meal was. It was an all Pho restaurant that served cream puffs for dessert. I had never even heard of Pho (pronounced fuh), but that day had changed my life! It is the meal I crave more than anything else! I dream of Pho, or to quote Kung Fu Panda I had the noodle dream!

Here is a little background of the meal for those of you who like to know where your food originated!

Phở ([fɤ˧˩˧] ( listen)) is a Vietnamese noodle soup, usually served with beef (phở bò) or chicken (phở gà).[1] The soup includes noodles made from rice and is often served with Asian basil, mint leaves, lime, and bean sprouts that are added to the soup by the person who is dining. The dish is associated with the city of Hanoi, where the first pho restaurant opened in the 1920s.

Now back in Utah I had to find a Pho restaurant. I was on a mission. I found Pho Plus Noodle house. I was also very yummy, but more expensive so I determined that I must learn how to make it! Luckily we have an Asian Market right in Provo (I frequent it a lot). It is called Choas. I love it! I can get everything I need including fresh lemon grass and well everything else I have ever needed. They have a product that is a paste that is Pho bo flavored (beef) and it is soooooooo easy. All you do is add it to your water and voila instant pho! Wahoooooo! So here is my recipe for Pho. I must warn you though. Once you go Pho you can't go back!

Some of the ingredients are special Asian ingredients, so if you are interested in trying it before you buy call me and I will fix some up for you... and well of course I will have to have some too :)

Pho

By Krista Prusak


12 c water
2 T Pho Bullion (image below)
1 chicken breast thawed and sliced thin
1/2 bag of 1mm rice noodles (image below)
3 carrots peeled and sliced
3 cups fresh broccoli
2 T chopped cilantro
1-2 c fresh bean sprouts
1-2 sprigs of fresh mint
1 fresh jalapano sliced thinly (seeds in for more heat)
chili sauce to taste (image below)
hoisan sauce to taste (image below)
salt and pepper to taste

Add your pho bullion to the water and bring to a boil. Add your chicken (for flexitarian leave out the chicken; i did last night and it was still delicious!) boil until cooked through. Add your noodles. Boil until tender. Just like any other pasta. Add your carrots and broccoli about 5 min before serving just so they get tender, but not overly soft. Take off the heat and add your cilantro. Serve immediately. Once in your individual bowl add the mint bean sprouts jalapanos, chili and hoisan sauce and salt and pepper to taste. I must warn you the chili sauce goes a lonnnnnnggggg way. I mean seriously one or two drops is enough for the unsuspecting mouth especially if you add the jalapenos. Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment