Friday, January 4, 2013

Allergy Free and Me!

As I have mentioned in previous posts that I was diagnosed with food allergies. Tons of them. Through the last year and a half. I have played with these allergies to try and see which ones were caused because of general inflammation or were truly allergies I need to pay attention to.

I think I have discovered the real ones... at least I hope. So here they are
1. Dairy products (I even tried goat's milk and that was just as bad)
2. Eggs
3. Gluten (found in wheat grains including rye and barley)

That is way better than the like 15 things I was struggling with when I was first diagnosed. Let me tell you, corn is in everything. I am so glad that it hasn't bothered me.

Now that you see my first two allergies it is not too much of a stretch to cut out meat along with the dairy and eggs.

The hard part is being gluten free. "Everything" vegan on the market tends to have wheat products in them. I don't blame them. Wheat is yummy!

I myself in-fact love bread and all things wheat so this is hard for me. I actually have the perfect multigrain bread recipe. I mean look at this slice of bread! Perfection!



HaHa. Life has a cruel sense of humor. Oh well.

Here is my goal for this blog. To post both gluten free vegan and regular vegan recipes.

So here is my first recipe:

Multigrain Bread
Recipe: Tom Lacalamita Adapted: Krista Prusak

2 1/2 c water
6 T oil
2 tsp salt
1/2 c honey (or vegan sweetener)
2/3 c flax seed (I like the golden variety best)
6 T yellow cornmeal (coarsely ground if possible)
6 T rolled oats
6 T rye flour
6 T almond meal/flour
4 1/2 tsp yeast (go with SAF)
3 c whole wheat flour
~3 c white bread flour

Mix all the ingredients except the white flour in a bowl or mixer. Add enough white flour to make a soft dough. Divide into 2 loaves. Let rise until double (I usually let it go until 2 inches above the edge of the pan) Bake at 350 for 30 min.( If you have a retarded oven like mine bake at 400 for 15 min then reduce the heat to 350 for 15 min.)

Enjoy the perfection you will find in this loaf! Go accomplish hard things!








No comments:

Post a Comment