Saturday, January 5, 2013

Scrambled tofu breakfast



Yesterday I happened to run into my dad at Walmart. He told me to have a warm breakfast because it is so cold. I took his advice and decided to jump into the realm tofu with this warm hearty dish.

In my research to become a vegan I came across two cookbooks that I have really enjoyed. The recipe that I created today stems from The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook. Their recipes are quick and easy vegan cooking. I can whip out a dish in 15-30 minutes. Every dish created so far I have really enjoyed! Today was no exception.

I changed their recipe to suit my tastes more.

Scrambled Tofu Breakfast
By: McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook Adapted: Krista Prusak

1/2 c water
2 c potato o'brian mix
1/2 cup bell pepper chopped
2 large green onions chopped
2 T bacon TVP (soaked in water and then drained)
6 oz tofu (I got the firm because I had no idea what to buy)
1 generous T dijon mustard
1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste.

Optional: fresh tomatoes and avocados to garnish. Serve in a tortilla burrito style or on toast or english muffin.

Place the water in a frying pan medium high heat. Heat until boiling. Add potatoes. Cook until water is gone and potatoes are just starting to brown. Add the peppers and onions and bacon TVP. Cook until browned to your liking. Meanwhile mash the tofu in a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients except salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Add to the frying pan and cook until heated ~5 min. Salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment