Friday, January 11, 2013

Spicy Yellow Split Pea Soup



To usher in the storm I thought what better way than with a hearty bowl of split pea soup. This recipe makes me happy inside and out! It takes about an hour total to make and my house smells delicious now. Dash is also by my side begging me for some. It must be that good!

I had never had yellow peas before, but they are delicious! They are sweeter without the mustiness of green peas (mind you I love that musty flavor but some don't). The heat is quite strong so cut the spices in half if you want to. The cilantro sounds funny, but it added a nice freshness to the soup.


Spicy Yellow Split Pea Soup
By:dairyfreecooking.about.com Adapted By Krista Prusak

6 cups broth (I did one beef and two chicken vegan bullion cubes)
1 cup water, plus more if needed
2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 large carrots, finely chopped
2 1/2 cups dried yellow split peas
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne red pepper
1/2 tsp pepper
paprika to garnish
cilantro to garnish

Put the broth, water, onions, celery, carrots, in a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Add the peas and return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer for 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the peas are very soft.

Blend about 3/4 of the soup in the blender until smooth and return with the soup. Add the salt, cumin, red pepper, and black pepper. Stir to combine add more water if too thick. Garnish and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment